DA 201 - Fundamentals of Data Acquisition
Fundamentals of data acquisition training course covers all aspects of data acquisition system from design to installation and configuration. This course provides both novice and experienced users a solid understanding of interfaces used in data acquisition and standalone instruments to real-world signals in industrial plants.
The course starts with fundamentals of data acquisition systems, different types of sensors, effect of noise and data accuracy on data acquisition, and software for data acquisition systems. Next, data acquisition hardware is introduced, and the concept of digital to analog or analog to digital data conversion is covered. The fundamentals of data acquisition training course helps you understand various communication systems used in data acquisition including Ethernet, wireless, Global System for Mobile (GSM), and the IEEE 488 standard for digital communications, universal serial bus, and a few specific techniques in data acquisition systems. Finally, the data acquisition system design and software used for data acquisition will be covered in this training course.
The data acquisition (DAQ) is a 2-day course aimed to train:
- Any individual from industry, government, or academia who needs to learn DAQ to monitor data in an experimental or industrial system.
- Those individuals who operate root cause analysis and fault analysis in electrical, chemical, or physical systems.
- Government and state personnel who are involved in auditing industrial plants and need to understand how data monitoring works.
- Government entities related to energy who are involved in distributing research grants; including the personnel of Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy-Energy; Air Force Installations, Environment & Logistics; Department of the Navy Energy Program for Security and independence; Department of the Navy Strategy for Renewable Energy; Marine Corps Expeditionary Energy Office; Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, Installations and Environment; U.S. Army Office of Energy Initiatives (OEI); and U.S. Energy Information Administration.
- Grant writers who need a brief and quick training about DAQ.
- Scientists and non-engineer involved in the projects with monitoring and collecting data from experimental setups.
- Scientists and engineers working on multidisciplinary projects that require data monitoring and collection.
- The personnel of R&D departments in companies, research Laboratories, state/government research facilities, and academic enters who will be working with DAQ systems.
- Scientists, engineers, and technicians working on optimization of operating conditions.
- Fully understand the concept of data acquisition systems.
- Differentiate different hardware used for DAQ.
- Understand the software requirements for DAQ.
- Understand the serial, wireless and Ethernet communication systems for DAQ.
- Come up with a functional design for DAQ.
- Recognize the requirements of data acquisition systems based on IEEE standards.
- Understand the basics of digital signal processing.
- Understand the concept of filtering and noise reduction in data acquisition systems.
The following contents will be covered in the introduction to data acquisition course; however, they can be adjusted to the client’s need:
Fundamentals of Data Acquisition
- Sensors and transducers
- Data acquisition hardware
- Data acquisition software
- Communication cables
- Noise in data communications
- Accuracy of data acquisition
- Settling time in data acquisition
- Acquisition time
Data Acquisition System Hardware
- Plug-in DAQ systems
- Signal conditioning
- Analog to Digital (A/D) converters
- Digital to Analog (D/A) converters
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
- Microprocessors and microcontrollers
- Power management in DAQ
- Timing systems and clocks
- Filtering in DAQ
- Memory boards
- Bus interfac
- Bus USB and FireWire
- Serial communications
- Ethernet (TCP/IP)
- GSM for data acquisition systems
- PCI express
- Standard VME
- IEEE 488 standard for digital communications
Data Acquisition System Design
- Introduction to DAQ design
- Functional design for high speed DAQ
- Portable data acquisition systems
- Design guidelines
Software for data acquisition systems
- Android for DAQ
- Design of firmware
- Examples of data acquisition implementation